Thursday, March 8, 2012

STOPKONY2012

Before reading this post, make sure you have already watched the KONY 2012 video to understand what I'm talking about...



I don't know why but despite reading the following articles going against the campaign, I am still a "supporter" of the campaign, unlike some of y'all.

Eg. of an article by a non-supporter
http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com.nyud.net/

I read somewhere that no matter what, Kony is still going to get caught. The US government is gonna do something about it. I think they already did before but failed the previous time round.

So what is this campaign for? It's not "wishing" for the government to see it then act on it like what some people mentioned. Instead, it's for us to spread the word and show the rest of the world what's happening. How fucked up Kony is and all cus not many people know about him before the video went viral. Before watching the video, I didn't think abducting kids and brainwashing them to do things like kill their own parents existed! We only see such things in movies right? So this video did make me realise the many fucked up things happening in the world that exists.

One can say a lot more shit is happening around the world. Yes it's true. But one guy, abducting 30,000(?) children, that is MAJOR fucked up, no?

Then comes the money part, I believe I read on many blogs about discrepancies on the Invisible Children's funds here and there. Even if there really are, i dont really care. Wont switch my mind and think they're fucked up. Maybe cus I think they deserve it for working full-time on it an saving children. For example, Jacob, the boy in the video., I'm sure they had to provide lodging for him, food and water, fly him to US, pay for the paper work that has to be done for citizenship etc...all that isn't free right? And I'm sure Jacob isn't the only one they managed to save. So money part, even if they profited despite the fact they claim to be a non-profitable organisation, I don't think one should stop supporting the campaign just because of that? Ok la, it is kiiiiinda fucked up if that's true but stillllll, they aren't doing harm to anyone right? They're still saving kids, right?

I feel there's a lot Invisible Children simplified to make the video understandable for masses. It's only a 30 min video, how much can they put in? So they prolly didnt manage to mention a lot. And also, all the editing and effects -which people complaint about. Uh, people make a video nicer to watch also cannot? Lol. Come on, if the video is boring, like just a guy sitting there telling us about Kony, i think most of us would close it at 5 min and not bother finishing it right? So all those blogs bringing up so much about them based on what's in the video is kinda unfair what? How can they put in detail everything they did for 10 over years in just a 30min video?

I feel that every campaign that's around, there's someone who's going to be against it, no matter what. So therefore I am still not swayed and prefer to stick to my own views.

I still feel there's a need to spread the word and support Invisible Children. I respect them for all their hardwork. The best I can do is help spread the word since I can't and won't be in Africa doing any work. I mean how many people can give up their lives and go help others? I certainly can't. And I'm sure most of us too, cus otherwise, we'd be working in non-profit organisations too. So, better do something small than nothing at all, right? :)

Not exactly a pro and know EVERYTHING about it. Just stating my POV. Whether you agree or not is up to you lah. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, if one does not agree to the campaign, then so be it. It doesn't make them "heartless". Zzz at those tweets calling ppl heartless just cus they refuse to RT and spread the word. People don't want then don't want lah...?

Maybe you should also watch this video by a fellow Singaporean, Dee Kosh. Although he is damn annoying. There are times whereby I find him super funny but most times trying too hard. Haha. So anyhowzzz, in this video, he mentioned talking to someone who works closely with the Invisible Children and etc. Man, i wish he'd stop clapping though...frigging annoying, Dude! But well, yes here you go,



and read this too (a reader just shared this link and i am so thankful!)...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html
(this is really good....i'm glad they finally "defended" themselves.)
Can't review and reread this post Typing it from my phone. But well, I'm just voicing out what I feel after watching so many YouTube video responses and tweets on this issue.

32 comments:

  1. i was lazy to watch at first, because it's a 30mins video, thanks to you, i went to watch and not regreting it. a 30mins really well spent. gonna get the action kit now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done tammy, so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy,

    Maybe you could add this link into your post -> http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

    It's the campaign's reply to all their "critics" doubts and questions about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if you have read this... http://claudere.tumblr.com/post/18937549668/kony-2012-causing-more-harm-than-good

    Initially after reading the same article that you linked in this entry that was anti-invisible children i still felt the same as you. but the entry above kinda changed the way i felt about this campaign. You might want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy I think that it's amazing how you feel for the campaign and have taken it up to spread the word with your influence of at least a 1000 odd people on your twitter (I'm not sure but I do follow you). It's indeed disheartening to see other bloggers calling the efforts hypocritical and apathetic when really the key issue is not how the campaign is done but rather the CONTENT of the video where the african children have really suffered at the hands of Kony. I myself am supportive of the campaign, and I was also indignant when I read other bloggers who tweeted about how they can't be half fucked with what's going on in Africa. I guess everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I'm really glad that you're one of the few who actually cared enough to spread the word. Thanks for giving the Singapore blogging community some hope, we all need some of that every now and then. Support #Kony2012! :)  Side note - I really love your online store as well. Keep up the good work! 

    - Your loyal reader, S

    ReplyDelete
  6. i read that alr! 

    still not swayed! 

    maybe u should read this...
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. well sharing it doesnt make one a saint also la! haha. diff ppl see things differently so well no one's to judge if it's right or wrong of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nothing much to be proud of what silly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad you learnt about it thru my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not for/against the stop kony campaign. But I do feel that the campaign has no direct/plausible solution to the problem. The campaign raises awareness amongst those who are using facebook/twitter. And it's focus is evidently media. I'm just thinking.... What can us first world civilians do about this after KNOWING kony anyway. I'm not apathetic to the tragic situation in Uganda, but I feel that more people knowing about kony makes him more wary. And not just that, with the great numbers knowing about him, he is just going to be empowered when he realizes no one can capture him despite the extent of the awareness of his deeds. I think a more feasible solution would be maximizing protection for these kids. It is with no doubt that one (I didn't say main) of the reasons why they are so easily abducted is because of their poverty, and thus lack of proper and secure shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thumbs up! I admire how generous and supportive you are. Unlike others who are indifferent and those who decided to not support just because of little things like money. Human rights worth more than money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you should read this first http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/ before deciding on whether this is a good or bad idea. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. did you even read what i said? i even posted the same link......?

    ReplyDelete
  14. maybe you should read this too...http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html (even visiblechildren posted it on their site).

    ReplyDelete
  15. maybe you should read this too...http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html (even visiblechildren posted it on their site).

    ReplyDelete
  16. do you have any good eye cream to intro?

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/03/07/guest_post_joseph_kony_is_not_in_uganda_and_other_complicated_things

    A good post to show the other side of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi tammy! Just wna check with you, in the recent collection, what size do you wear for the osf button skirt? Just want a gauge please, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have pretty mixed feelings about this campaign - I think it's great that it's raising awareness, but at the same time I honestly don't know if what they're asking people to do is the best way forward. Donating to support further military intervention by an army which itself has committed several human rights violations seems kind of counterintuitive. The video itself is impressive, and it is making a lot of people sit up. I just hope it doesn't make people commit blindly to a cause without thinking about the impacts of what they're doing and what they're really supporting. 

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's not that people don't support the cause you know? I support the cause, but not particularly KONY 2012 campaign. Read these, and do your part of a bit of researching and learning.

    http://www.formspring.me/sophiewillocq/q/302031868742609788
    http://www.jjjayne.com/2012/03/09/kony-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  21. i wanna slap that  DK guy until he loses that weird accent of his. 

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Tammy, 

    I was so happy when I read your blog. I'm not one of those self-righteous morally upright people who insist on spreading the video, but I cannot stand people who slam this video and think that it's uncool and that people are just mindless sheep who are following without reason - without even watching the video first. So many people think its cool to be critical and to spot loopholes and to dismiss other people want to spread awareness, and it really pisses me off. What so uncool about wanting to make a difference and make the world a better place? It's not cool to not care, it's mean, obnoxious and selfish. I'm glad that you feel the same way as I do, and that someone influential like you is putting a good word out there. I've been a loyal reader of singapore's most wellknown blogger of all time, but I made the decision to unfollow her on twitter because of the unclassy things she did. 

    Keep doing what you do, I will be supporting you. 

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's their own opinion on it. I have mine too. So yup! I personally feel that their efforts (invisible children) deserves to be recognised. Only thing now is that, money isn't really necessary (I never did encourage ppl to donate, I only encourage ppl to spread the word.).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Khiel's avocado

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/uganda/9131469/Joseph-Kony-2012-growing-outrage-in-Uganda-over-film.html#.T1nmvuEQyNs.facebook

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, can i know where can i get skins for my mac book pro? Leopard prints etc!!! :>

    ReplyDelete
  27. Skinit.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Tammy,

    I have transferred the payment for BO <span>SnakeP Zip Back Dress on Saturday.</span>
    May I know when will it be verified? 

    Thanks for your help! (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. your-once-in-a-blue-moon-reader-that-sometimes-have-shit-load-to-say readerMarch 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

    ai yeah those singaporeans who dun wanna support the campaign are nonsense lah. they are not more about saying that they dun believe in the campaign, rather they just want to point out that the other people sharing the campaign video are "mindless sheeps" in society who dun know and dun care what they are supporting. if you're that angry that the campaign is misleading and that its a white man money making machine or what not then go take it up with Invisible Children, whats the point in calling out the , in thier own words, "mindless ignorant sheep" who are spreading the video? how does THAT in anyways exhibit ANY good intention other than to bash your fellow human being? if you think people are ignorant then educate them.if you just want to potray an i-am-greater-than-you attitude, then aren't you the same as the people who you say are jumping on the bandwagon to spread the kony vid just to potray themselves as benevolent human beings?

    ReplyDelete
  30. this capture kony is just plain propaganda for america to take over africa for oil imo. third world war in 2012!! http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/312028/20120309/kony-2012-video-conspiracy-theories-oil.htm

    ReplyDelete

Home     Contact     Facebook     Instagram     ShopOhsofickle     Back to top